Sunday, December 06, 2009

Amma

My mother - Jharna - passed away early last Friday morning (4th Dec) after a brief 5 day illness. She was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) the previous Saturday - 28th Nov - which, incidentally, was their 50th Wedding Anniversary. She had no prior symptoms or indication. It would seem like, she was waiting for that day before declaring the close of her innings. I wouldn't know if it was out of sheer prescience that she had instructed us long ago not to plan any anniversary celebrations for them - saying that she'd rather use the money for some good cause later. She was all of 68.

By the grace of God, she didn't suffer too much and was lucid till the very end.Tho' in distress from a pulmonary infection that had set in, she was aware of every minute detail, talking (giving my father and Nina instructions on minor issues of the house-hold) and sometimes even joking with the doctors, monks (Swamis) and nuns (Mataji-s) of RKM who came to see her. She passed away in her sleep at 0100 AM. She had been admitted on Monday (30th) at the Ramakrishna Mission Seva Pratisthan (Shishu Mangal) on Lansdowne Road, Calcutta - a place of her own choosing.

Those of you - whose lives she had touched, would know that she wouldn't have liked to be mourned in her death. But, remembered for the happy times she shared with all of us.

For us life has changed permanently. But, I hope and pray that, she enjoys the same sense of peace and tranquility that was so characteristic of her, wherever she may find her abode of rest.

More on her....some other day....

12 comments:

  1. Ma sent me this email on the weekend. It brought tears to my eyes. You've dealt with everything so wonderfully and wisely. I am sure she is very proud of you. She is lucky to have a son like you.

    Speak soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and the photograph is lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sandip,

    Peace, Love and Light. Warmest.

    Samil

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is with great sadness that I learned of your mother's passing away.....


    I remember her wonderful personality with extreme fondness. Memories of my time spent with you and your family are still fresh in my mind. The wonderful love that all of you especially your mum bestowed on me is unforgettable.

    Whenever she, with your dad came to Ranchi Sanatorium, she would come always with bountiful goodies...you know for whom? For the poor tribal children! She was so happy to see those malnourished children taking 200 ml fresh milk. She gave of course a good donation too to keep up the project. She could instantly make friendship with any one of our farm workers and they all would be so free with her, addressing her as Ma. And personally there was a positive, spiritual vibration that I felt with her when she would come out from the shrine and sit with me at the outside bench where conversation continued without words spoken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just the other day we were reminiscing on your parents and were in admiration for your mother and the healthy,fit and positive outlook on life that she always had.Those of us who had the privilege of her visits in our salad days in Domlur never failed to be touched by her warmth,affection and sheer positive energy that she displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A.... and I spent a little time in quiet prayer for the peace of Jhorudi's soul at the Sivananda Samadhi Shrine this morning after speaking to you. Very characteristic of her that she went quietly and without much fuss and trouble to you. Her faith and long association with the RK Mission had given her the gentle temperament to face every situation and offer warmth and joy to all who came in contact with her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never met your mum but having known you, I suspect some of it has rubbed off. She would have passed away in the knowledge that she has a family to be proud off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am truly sorry for your loss.

    Thank you for sharing her memory on your Blog. I lost my Ma many years ago; Thus I realize how painful it must be for you.

    I have not been fortunate to meet your Ma, but Nina has always spoken very fondly of her, especially of stories in which Jaya was her loving grand daughter.

    My thoughts are with you,your baba,Nina,Jaya and your extended family.

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sandip,

    sad to hear read about the sad demise of your mum. May God bless the soul. Regards, Dinesh

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear Sandip.

    My deepest condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Sandip

    Just listening to you talk about her makes me feel at peace suddenly. I am in the middle of a big crisis in my own life and sometimes the thought of someone so much in terms with life gives me hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel. Like you mentioned, she deserves not to be mourned but to be learnt from.My regards to you and your's.

    ReplyDelete